Welcome!

Hi, thanks for stopping by. I hope that you enjoy the blog and find it helpful. There are new posts every Sunday (although sometimes a little later). To get in touch with any questions or suggestions, please email searchlight.blogger@gmail.com and one of the administrators will get back to you as soon as possible.

Sunday 23 April 2017

Psalm 119:9-16

Read Psalm 119:9-16.

Continuing from last week, let's see what else God wants us to know from this Psalm.

v9: A way, a path, it's all the same thing. This verse is talking about a clean path, but if we go to places that we shouldn't, how can we expect this? How can we stay clean in our surroundings? Of course, our surroundings are filthy, sinful, and worldly. Comes from being in the world. But if we continue in the love of God and find out from reading the Bible and praying what God has for our pathway, He will keep us on the right pathway.

v10-11: The Bible is not head knowledge, it's heart knowledge. The heart is the place of affections and the reason to keep the knowledge there is not to sin. Memorize Scripture, if we do, it is in our heart. You know the English phrase; to learn something "off by heart". If we do this, it will guide our way. There are people who do not have Bibles or are in prison for their faith and they have learnt the Scripture and have kept it in their heart. This has blessed them and given them strength.

v12:We can never know everything from in the Bible, but we should always want to learn more and more. The Lord will teach it to us. 

v13: 'with my lips'. So the Word isn't just staying in our heart. We declare it to others. If the Lord shows us something, we should share it. I know people who have shared a verse or something over text, and this really encouraged me. Preferably, it could be shared face to face, but of course, this is not always possible. In Psalm 40:8-10, we read: 'I delight to do Your will, O my God, and Your law is within my heart. I have proclaimed the good news of righteousness in the great assembly. Indeed, I do not restrain my lips. O Lord, You Yourself know. I have not hidden Your righteousness within my heart. I have declared Your faithfulness and Your salvation. I have not concealed Your loving kindness and Your truth from the great assembly.' The Word was first in the heart and then it was declared to others. So, it must be precious to you first before you declare it to others. 

v14: To delight in the Word of God is something of great value. We are so rich that we have the Word of God in our hands. 'I rejoice at Your word as one who finds great treasure.' Psalm 119:162.

v15: I used to have a quiet time where I used to open my Bible on a random page and read a few verses here and there. Do you think that it was really profitable to me? To get rich from the Word of God, you need to really meditate on it so that it governs the whole of your life. Read Psalm 1; it gives more perspective on this. 

v16: How quickly do we forget things? I know I do, I have the memory of a goldfish! But if we read something that we truly delight in, we will remember. It's a bit like school, a lot of the teachers could be quite boring and we'd forget what they had taught us by the next day. But most of us had one teacher who was so fun and interesting and knew how to make us listen. And we remembered what that teacher had taught us, and maybe you still remember today. But it's a two way thing, you need to have an open mind and be interested. The Word of God is interesting and something we should want to read. So if we delight in it, we will remember it.

No comments:

Post a Comment